Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Collection Development @ SJSU Library

Collection Development Policy - Chemistry

Last Updated: July 2018

Programs Supported

Selection for this discipline is designed to support undergraduate study leading to:

  • BA, Chemistry
  • BS, Chemistry
  • BS, Chemistry, Concentration in Biochemistry
  • Minor, Chemistry

The selection also supports Graduate study leading to:

  • MA, Chemistry
  • MS, Chemistry

A degree in chemistry prepare students for graduate work, as well as, careers in health professions, K-12 teaching, and/or work in laboratory, field research, or technical work.

Existing Resources

The University Library is the main resource. The collection is enhanced by access to materials from other libraries through Interlibrary Loan Services and CSU+ programs.

Coordination

There is a coordinated effort in the collection of materials with chemical/materials engineering.

In some areas the materials collected may duplicate materials found in the San Jose Public Library (SJPL) collections, although in general, the SJSU collection is scholarly while the SJPL collection is more introductory or general.

Materials Collected

  1. Special Materials  - If deemed appropriate by faculty, video recordings that are specific to the field may be collected. All formats audio visual materials may be selected.
  2. Languages - English language materials are primarily collected with some German language publications
  3. Geographical Areas - Worldwide coverage 
  4. Chronological Periods - Historical accounts may be selected but should be no more than 1-2% of a year's budget. Materials should be current.
  5. Current / Retrospective Materials - Materials selected are current (within the last 10 years). Older materials that contain valid information is retained. items of purely historical interest are not acquired unless of major significance to the field or local in nature.
  6. Other Factors -  Approximately 30% of materials should be in book format, with the other 70% being journals

Collection Highlights

The collection is strong in basic undergraduate level materials in the concentration areas. Even with flat budgets and high inflation rates, SJSU Library provides the essential resources (including books and journal/article databases) and services to attain materials from other libraries in order to support the chemistry programs offered. Major journal databases include American Chemical Society (ACS) Publications, Science Direct, and SciFinder. All of these databases provide a solid core of chemistry journals dating back from the late 1800's, this providing a strong foundation for the entire discipline.

For books the focus continues to be to fill in gaps and to provide current essential books and print materials.

A comprehensive list of materials for this subject can be found in the Chemistry Research Guide: https://libguides.sjsu.edu/chemistry

Evaluation of Collection – Methods and Planning

Periodicals and electronic databases: Providing access to primary research materials continues to be important at SJSU Library even with flat budgets and high-inflation rates. New and existing programs will be supported with essential journal titles or online databases, depending on available funding. Constant improvement to Interlibrary Loan Services and CSU+ continues to be a great resource students and faculty via the delivery of books, journals, journal articles, and other materials from other libraries. Periodical and electronic databases are purhcased based on faculty and student requests via a trial period and an assessment of available funding.

Books: The SJSU Library will continue order books, with a focus on filling in gaps and purchasing current materials of interest to students and faculty. The format preference will be multi-user eBooks to allow access to students and faculty from anywhere and at anytime they conduct research. Information on collection use by the campus and public community will be part of future analysis. Books are purchased based on faculty and student requests, and by reading Choice Reviews and examining association publications.