What Is the Affordable Care Act?
Below is a short explanation of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. This video was produced and distributed by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services (HHS). To view the H. R. 3590: Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act in it full form please follow this link.
Información sobre la nueva Ley Del Cuidado De La Salud
A continuación se muestra una breve explicacion sobre el Patient Protection and Afforable Care Act este video fue producido y distribuido por el departamento de salud y servicios humanos de los estados unidos.
Resources in Other Languages
Contact US Government Directly with Questions
Small businesses resources
Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST. Agents and brokers may also use this number.
More information from San Jose Public Library
For more information see also: Affordable Care Act Information guide from San Jose Public Library's pages:
In the Catalog
SJSU CSU Health Insurance Education Project
SJSU students, please visit Student Information on the Affordable Care Act & Covered CA OR the CSU health insurance website to find out how you can get covered! Or visit the SJSU Health Insurance Education Project homepage for more information.
National Institutes of Health
A service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine under the National Institutes of Health
This link provides a comprehensive list of links to further in-depth information.
How does the Affordable Care Act affect Small Business?
Below is a short explanation of the Affordable Care Act and Small Business, the changes that are happening now, and the changes coming in 2014.
What is the Healthcare Marketplace?
Below is a video that provides an overview of the Health Insurance Marketplace and how it works. Topics covered include who is eligible to enroll, and how programs for people with limited incomes work. Produced and distributed by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.
Timeline of the Affordable Care Act
- September 17, 2009 - Introduced in the House as the "Service Members Home Ownership Tax Act of 2009" (H.R. 3590) by Charles Rangel (D–NY)
- October 8, 2009 - Passed in the House
- December 24, 2009 - Passed in the Senate as the "Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act" with amendment
- March 21, 2010- House agreed to Senate amendment
- March 23, 2010 - Signed into law by President Barack Obama
- September 23, 2010 - Patient's Bill of Rights goes into effect
- January 1, 2011 - People with Medicare receive free key preventive services and 50% discount on brand-name drugs
- August 1, 2012 Expanded Access to Preventive Services for Women
- October 1, 2012 - Linking Payment to Quality Outcomes, Reducing Paperwork and Administrative Costs
- October 1, 2013 - Open enrollment in the Health Insurance Marketplace begins