This guide is designed to help you with library resources. Use the tabs above for resources regularly used by LIS students and faculty.
Library 203 Materials
LOTSS (Library Online Tutorial for SLIS Students): Includes a short video and 3 modules introducing library databases
- Video Introduction (1 min)
- LOTSS Module 1: Library Literature & Information Science Full Text
- LOTSS Module 2: ABI/Inform Complete
- LOTSS Module 3: Web of Science
Optional: Lingometer: http://tutorials.sjlibrary.
Getting Started with Library Accounts
1. Create a Library Account & PIN: Go to the Library Account page and create a 4-digit PIN with your name and SJSU ID number (you will be asked to enter your PIN twice). Remember your PIN -- you will need it for SJSU database and ebook access.
2. Set up an account with Interlibrary Services once you have your Library Account. Set your status correctly; SJSU Distance indicates students or faculty members who are exclusively engaged in online classes (SJSU Distance Graduate Students OR SJSU Distance Faculty). ILLiad Sign-on Tutorial will show you how to sign up as:
- SJSU Distance Graduate Students
SJSU Distance Faculty.
3. Set your preferences in Google Scholar, a tool that searches scholarly publications on the Web
- Go to Google Scholar.
- Click the Settings button (under "More") and then Library Links (top).
- Type San Jose State University into the search box and press the Search button.
- Check the SJSU GetText box.
- Save your Scholar Preferences (to SJSU).
- For RefWorks citation links, use the Bibliography Manager (in Settings).
Or go to the Google Scholar tutorial for a step-by-step view of this process.
4. Set up an account with RefWorks once you have your Library Account. RefWorks allows you to create a personal database of references and generate bibliographies in a variety of formats. You will need the group code to access RefWorks off campus. (Go to Get Library Passwords).
- Creating a RefWorks Account (library tutorial)
- Troubleshooting Tips (Guide about trusted site messages & pop-up blockers)
- RefWorks 2.0 Fundamentals Tutorial (designed by RefWorks)
- RefWorks Vendor Tutorials (through YouTube)
I will be out of the office from July 22-August 7. For questions, please contact: Help with Library Account Problems: email@example.com, 408-808-2326 (Note to LIBR 203 students: Access will not be available until 8/1.) Help with Library Science: firstname.lastname@example.org, 408-808-2007 Help with Accounting & Finance: July 22-25, email@example.com, 408-808-2046 July 28-August 7, firstname.lastname@example.org, 408-808-2087
Appointments available by request.